Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ta Da!

Still having trouble with blogger but I managed to get one blog post posted - let's try for another.
Here's the layout I created from the goodies from Create for Create. As usual things didn't go smoothly. The ink on the word memories matched the burgundy trim perfectly, that is, until I added Glass Finish to it! The beautiful, matching burgundy faded to a paler shade of red. Then, my favourite glue (Pritt Power Gel) ran out right when I needed to glue the plastic/chipboard bits down {while nearing a personal deadline too}. I had to use the same glass finish to attach the chipboard and the buttons. This is a great tip/glue for using on buttons/plastic but not so good on my Glass Finish Chipboard word - the ink ran, again, and became more orange then red. O well , still looks good and I am happy with the overall layout - it could work with any two landscape 4x6 photos.
The torn out strips are backed with printed tissue tape. To strengthen the torn out sections of the page while still retaining the opacity of the tissue paper I backed the torn bit with heavy acetate.
I had a lot of fun distressing everything - a new technique for me. It did feel a little unnerving using the Heidi Swapp Distresser, inking everything heavily and tearing! It was more nerve-racking because I was creating it for someone and it was going on display. At least, whenever I felt I had overdone it I could shrug it off and call it distressed!

Look What Arrived....

This little package from Fiona @ Create arrived a week ago but this is the first time I have been able to blog and load a picture of the goodies - thanks Blogger Update! I have been having difficulties publishing posts from the laptop since I upgraded Outlook and have to publish them from work. Let's hope this works today or you will have to wait, again, until Monday.
I have already completed a layout from the pack using some pics from my trip to Ireland in 2009. I took a picture of it today to load to the blog but, go figure, my watermarking software had a hissy fit and froze! Grrrr, times like these I really dislike not being tech savvy!!!
Fingers crossed.....

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I Couldn't Resist

I couldn't resist having a play with some of my new stuff. I grabbed a piece of scrap cardstock and cut out the new Ticket die. Then I had to stamp it up with the matching Tim Holtz stamps and distress inks. I love how they all work together. Not one to waste paper, I then played with the negative of the ticket die. Unfortunately I grabbed a glossy piece of paper to play with and the new ink didn't like it. The ink wasn't drying (smudged a bit) so I covered it with clear embossing ink and heat embossed it. What I didn't know was that this made the ink fade by at least two shades!
Things I learnt today:
I need lessons on my Fiskars Stamp Press
Glossy paper needs more skills than I have at this stage
Clear embossing powder causes distress inks to fade
Don't start playing on your day off before you do the jobs you need to do (I knew that already but I chose to ignore it!)