Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Work It Wednesday (Even Though It's Thursday In NZ!)

It's a Thursday here in New Zealand - Waitangi Day to be exact. (I'd love to hear my overseas visitors pronounce that!). Although it is a Thursday I am entering a layout (yes, a layout!) on the Simon Says Stamp Work It Wednesday challenge. This is a new challenge for SSS and the theme is: Use Something New. The layout I did (not a card - yay!) is a review of 2013. I normally use index photos for my year in review layouts but this year I decided on a new approach - 2"x3" photos combined with monthly calendar stamps. I saw the idea on a blog before Christmas and I can't remember where - sorry!  This was a good approach as I took less photos last year. I think it was because I did 365 Photo Project (a photo a day) the previous year and it might have just been overkill for me. I need to try and take more photos this year (I will be in May for sure!). I normally don't share my year in review layouts here but I have to this year in order to enter the challenge! Here's my 2013

 
 
 
Just to be clear - the layout is just the blue bit. The beige background was so that you would have a change from seeing our blue carpet.  Turns out you could still see it so I had to crop the photo - yes, you can still see the blue carpet LOL
 
 
Details:
There is a calendar stamped and added onto journaling spots with foam tape for each month
I stamped stars on the appropriate dates as well as added events for the month on the appropriate month cards
There is more than one photo for each month. I stacked the photos up and added them with a brad so that they could be slid up or down to reveal each picture below.
I always use the same number dies to cut my year out with every year. My good ole, trusty Sizzix dies (the big ones) were a birthday gift many years ago.
I pulled out my roller stamps and clip together stamps and added lots of little random phrases.
I made the chevron with my new chevron border punch. I actually used the negative space! This punch has been sitting on my desk for months waiting to be used - feels good to use it! (and find an alternative use for it too).
 
 
The Work in Wednesday challenge details are here.  I think this layout meets the criteria of using something new for two reasons: 1) I used a new approach and 2) I used a new border punch (and roller stamps)
 
Materials:
Cardstock (DCWV, Ormolu), Paper (MME), Dies (Sizzix), Chipboard (Quickutz) ,Border Punch (Stampin' Up!), Stamps (Heidi Swapp, October Afternoon, American Crafts, Studio Calico, Joanns, Other), Ink & Marker (Stampin' Up!), Calendar Stamp (Maya Rd), Brads (Tim Holtz).
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment