Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Taking on an Elephant

Today I took on an elephant of a challenge and, by joves, I think I won! I decided, at the last minute, to try the next Mama Elephant sketch challenge. I liked the look of the sketch - similar to the last one they did - and I managed to complete it super quickly. I grabbed a random piece of paper I had put in my card making baggie, the doily stamp set I couldn't manage to use last time I did their sketch challenge, 2 washi rolls and, of course, my two ME stamps sets that I own (love, love, love them). I may only have two sets but there are so many different sayings on there that most events are covered. They would be good for Project Life too but, despite buying the various pocket pages, I haven't managed to put one single Project Life item together.

Here's my completed card:



I'm happy I got to use up some older paper, use some items that don't get used much (doily set) and I got to use new stuff too (washi tape).  Even better, I used some vintage items from my stash. While looking for the three little something somethings for the top left corner I found a pottle of vintage finds I have had for so long I don't remember when they first came to live with me. I love that and I think they look perfect!

Here's a sneaky tip too: I managed to miss-stamp the sentiment (I wanted it to go off the edge). I fixed it simply by colouring the missing bits with a black stamping pen.  Yay! While I am admitting to woopsies I might as well admit that the doliy stamp also didn't go off the edge as intended - note to self: use a stamp positioner! I simply rounded the corners and, hey presto, no more mistake :)

Here's the Challenge details:
Mama Elephant Sketch Challenge 03 (04-14/04/13 NZ Styles!) link is here

Materials:
Washi (Tim Holtz, Somi), Paper (Prvocraft), Stamps (Mama Elephant, Rachel Greig), Ink (Versafine, Stampin' Up!), vintage pieces.

If I wasn't supposed to be resting today I'd try another one but I'll opt for the rest so I can create some thing else another day. I can only take on one elephant a day anyway :)

I just noticed that I didn't ink the edges of the card - world's first for me!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my this is one COOL card! I love the vintage looking border you created balanced with the pretty doily! Thanks for playing along in the Mama Elephant challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kryssi! I am glad I got a chance to play along with your sketch challenge this month. I do need to get more sets so I have more of a range to play with.

      Delete